Friday, May 05, 2006

The Tyranny of Literature or How I Became a Theology Addict

Do you ever have so many things you want to do that you end up doing none of them? I do. Especially with books. I have these books on my desk:

Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places, Eugene Peterson
Embracing Grace: A Gospel for All of Us, Scot McKnight
The Jesus Creed, Scot McKnight
Praying With the Church, Scot McKnight
Preaching Re-Imagined, Doug Pagitt
The Resurrection of the Son of God, N. T. Wright
Soul Shaper, Tony Jones

and these next to my bed at home:

God's Politics, Jim Wallis
Posers, Fakers and Wannabes, Brennan Manning
Three, Flannery O' Connor

I have the desire to read all these books from front to back right now. I've begun to read a number of these books, some I refer to as needed, one (Jesus Creed) I'm intentionally moving through very slowly, and some I've just recently acquired and haven't got to yet. Why do I insist on trying to tackle so many things at once? When I'm around books, I "Get all excited like Jo-Jo the idiot circus boy with his pretty new pet...I pet it, I massage it, I love it...and then I (incoherent destructive noises)...and that's when I blow it. But that's when people like us have to forge ahead, am I right, Helen?"

I'm the same with c.d's, of course, but they are much less time consuming. I wonder if there are any good books I can read in an hour? Any suggestions?

Oh wait, I don't need to lengthen the list any more. Even with short books.

I wish my list of 'People to Serve and Give My Live Up For Today' list was as long. I need to work on that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home