Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut

One of the great social critics of our age, Kurt Vonnegut, has passed away. The public libraries of Indianapolis have been focusing on Vonnegut this year, so his name has been at the front of my mind a lot lately. I read Cat's Cradle in high school, and excessive repetition of a recurring line from Slaughterhouse-Five was an inside joke between myself, my roommate and Matthew iPod Morrison during college, and would be appropriate for such a time as this...so it goes. He was a jester in the best sense of the word. Thanks for some wonderfully entertaining and thought provoking literature.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:05 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you doing your high school Engish paper on him Andrew. I still thought of him as being fairly young so I was surprised to see his age. I just got photos from Sweden via Internet, and my cousin Bengt is all gray now. He is 59 and his brother Borje is my age 58. Bengt is in Australia visiting his youngest who lives there, and Borje went to England to see his daughter in March where she lives now. It was fun to see Stig, their father. Like Grandma he is going on 89-years-old now.

 
At 11:40 AM EDT , Blogger Andrew Gates said...

Yep. It was junior year. Mrs. Douglas suggested Vonnegut to me...she just figured I'd like him. She was right. You'll have to email me those photos of Stig and Bengt and Borje.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home